Green bean casserole, a traditional holiday dish, can be the star of the sides. This green bean casserole will not only be the star of the side dishes, but of the whole meal! Give this recipe a try.
Each serving is 1 lean protein serving and 1 vegetable serving.
- 2 lbs French Green Beans, ends cut
- 1 lb Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced (button mushrooms will also work)
- ½ cup fat-free evaporated milk
- ½ cup fat-free cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Shallot, diced
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Steam green beans in a large pot with water and 1 teaspoon of salt until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl with ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain in a colander.
- In a deep sauté pan add non-stick spray and shallots. Sauté till tender on medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté till cooked through.
- Add milk, cream cheese, and spices. On low heat, mix until cream cheese has melted.
- Add green beans and half of the parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish and top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 40 mins until the cheese and onions are golden brown.
Number of Servings: 6
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 158
- Carbs: 14g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Sodium: 600mg
- Sugar: 6g
For more healthy food ideas, check out our healthy recipes.