Want something healthy and tasty this holiday season? Nothing ever beats cauliflower mac & cheese! This healthy, protein-rich recipe will be a star of the dinner table.
Each serving replaces 2 lean protein servings.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup fat-free milk (plus more as needed)
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar or colby jack, shredded
- 1 cup fat-free mozzarella or Italian blend, shredded
- ¼ cup low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz fat-free cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and place in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and steam for 8-10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. You can also boil the cauliflower in water on the stove top for 5 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, Heat a large pan or pot to medium high heat. Add the olive oil and onions. Cook onions for 3-5 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook for just 30 seconds. Add the milk and cheeses. Stir mixture until the cheese is fully melted and the texture is smooth.
- Pour in the steamed cauliflower and mix until fully combined. Boil for 3-5 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft and tender or to your preference.
Number of Servings: 6
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 158
- Carbs: 14g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Sodium: 600mg
- Sugar: 6g
For more healthy food ideas, check out our healthy recipes.