This recipe is perfect for anyone looking for a traditional breakfast sausage without the added calories and preservatives! Feel free to substitute your favorite lean ground meat in place of turkey. The key to this recipe is the herbs and spices! The patties can be frozen raw (for cooking later) or cooked (for reheating later).
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Combine all ingredients (use less pepper if you don’t want a spicy taste) and blend well.
- If time permits, refrigerate overnight to let the meat absorb the flavor of the spices.
- Form into patties and cook as needed, freezing leftovers.
- Don’t overcook or they will dry out–remove from the heat as soon as they’re no longer pink inside, but still juicy. (if you prefer a moister texture, you add a splash of olive oil or an egg to the mixture just prior to cooking).
Adapted from http://www.geniuskitchen.com